Chipotle Bourbon Barbecue Pulled Pork Sliders
These chipotle bourbon pulled pork sliders are perfect for summer parties or a weeknight dinner!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time8 hrs
Total Time8 hrs
Servings: 4 sliders
- 1 cup bourbon (I used Knob Creek)
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole tomatoes, pureed with juice
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sriracha hot sauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 pound pork shoulder, loin, tenderloin
- 4 Slider buns
In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, reduce the bourbon to 1/2 cup. Set aside.
Heat up the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Over medium-low heat, sweat the onions and garlic for several minutes until translucent. Add the red wine vinegar and stir, allowing the liquid to reduce until it's almost gone.
Add the pureed tomatoes, chipotle peppers, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, honey, molasses, Sriracha and brown sugar. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35 minutes.
Puree the sauce in a blender. Return to the Dutch oven and add the reduced bourbon. Stir and cook on medium-high heat for another 5 minutes until the sauce has reduced slightly.
Place the pork in a slow cooker along with 1 cup of the sauce. Cook on the low setting for 8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Use two forks to shred the pork.
Toss with more of the sauce (the slow cooker sauce will have lost much of its flavor) and serve over warmed slider buns.
Calories: 519kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 784mg | Potassium: 784mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Vitamin C: 8.6mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 3.3mg