Baked Chai Spiced French Toast
This Baked Chai Spiced French Toast can be prepared the night before and will keep you warm during those chilly winter months!
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
Servings: 8 servings
Chai spice mixture:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk (1% or 2% may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chai spice mixture
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 9 cups day-old challah or brioche, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chai spice mixture
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and chopped into small pieces
In a small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon, allspice, cardamom, cloves and ginger. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture.
Use the softened butter to grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and place the bread inside the pan, gently pressing it down. Briefly re-whisk the liquid ingredients and pour over the bread, covering all of the exposed bread. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight to allow the mixture to absorb into the bread.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon chai spice mixture, and salt with a fork. Add the cold butter and press the mixture together, stirring until a crumb topping has formed.
Uncover the loaf pan and press the bread down gently until the liquid begins seeping up. Spread the topping evenly over the soaked bread. Bake for 50-55 minutes until the top is golden and crunchy.
Allow to cool for several minutes before slicing and serving.
Calories: 523kcal | Carbohydrates: 88g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 293mg | Sodium: 1890mg | Potassium: 115mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 405IU | Calcium: 294mg | Iron: 4.6mg