Grilled Italian Sausage and Vegetable Orzo Salad
This Grilled Italian Sausage and Vegetable Orzo Salad is all about summer grilling! It's ready in just 30 minutes.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 8 servings (approximately)
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large green or poblano pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and sliced in half from root to tip
- 1 yellow squash, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
- a neutral high heat oil for grilling, such as vegetable or peanut oil
- 4 links sweet Italian sausage, I used Al Fresco All Natural
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the orzo according to package instructions and then drain. Place the cooked orzo in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Preheat a grill to medium-high. In a large bowl, toss the green pepper, onion, squash and zucchini with a light coating of the high heat oil, just enough to prevent it from sticking to the grill.
Use tongs to carefully place the vegetables and sausage on the hot grill and then close the lid. After 3-4 minutes, use the tongs to turn the sausage and flip the vegetables and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the sausage and vegetables are nicely charred on both sides. Remove from the grill and allow everything to cool for several minutes until it can be handled comfortably.
Slice the sausage thinly and add to the orzo.
Remove the stem and seeds from the top of the pepper and then peel away the skin, discarding. Dice the roasted pepper.
Slice off and discard the root of the onion and dice coarsely. Slice the squash and zucchini. Add all of the vegetables to the orzo and sausage and toss gently to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 236mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3.1% | Vitamin C: 26.4% | Calcium: 1.8% | Iron: 3.5%