Ramp Pesto Pasta with Pickled Onions
This creamy ramp pesto pasta has bright, clean flavors and is a wonderful dinner option. Introduce your family to a new veggie tonight!
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time55 mins
For the pickled onions:
- 1 small red onion (approximately 5-7 ounces)
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
For the pasta:
- 1 pound fettuccine (or pasta of your choice)
- 1/2 cup ramp pesto (see notes)
- 1/4 cup pasta water + more as needed (see instructions)
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (approximately 1 lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- crushed red pepper for garnish
- freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish
Prepare the onions:
Set a colander in the sink. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, using either a kettle or a saucepan.
While the water is heating up, cut the onion into a large dice. Place the diced onion in the colander and slowly pour the boiling water on top.
Add the vinegar, salt and sugar to a medium-sized container or jar with a tight-fitting lid, and stir to dissolve. Add the onions, close the lid, and allow to sit for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Prepare the pasta:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil, and cook the pasta until al dente (according to package instructions). Before draining, use a liquid measuring cup to carefully reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
In a large bowl, toss together the cooked pasta, ramp pesto, 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water, lemon juice, and salt.
Divide between plates and top each serving with a generous portion of parsley, crushed red pepper, grated parmesan cheese, and pickled onions.
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 368mg | Potassium: 135mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Vitamin C: 1.6mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 0.9mg