Tomato Feta Egg Tart
This Tomato Feta Egg Tart is perfect as an appetizer, side dish, or even for breakfast. It’s beautiful and incredibly delicious.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 small shallot, sliced thin (approximately 3-4 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup good quality feta, crumbled (goat cheese may be substituted)
- 1-2 vine tomatoes, heirlooms may be substituted, sliced thin
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste depending on saltiness of the cheese
- Coarse ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh basil, sliced thin
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Fold the puff pastry sheet in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry to thin out the rectangle and shape it into a 14x5 inch tart pan. Chill for 10-15 minutes to firm up the dough.
Sprinkle the shallots evenly into the bottom of the tart pan and top with half of the cheese.
Spread slices of tomato into the pan, leaving some space for raw eggs either between slices or to the sides (see photos).
Crack 1 egg into a small ramekin or liquid measuring cup. Gently pour/place it onto the tart between tomato slices. Repeat with the remaining 4 eggs.
Top with the remaining cheese, followed by the thyme and oregano. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and then into the oven. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the whites have set. Top with fresh basil before serving.
Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 147mg | Sodium: 682mg | Potassium: 152mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 475IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 2.2mg