I finally had a chance to start baking with the apples I picked last weekend! I had so much fun at the farm and I’m determined to cook all of the apples and squash before the season ends so I can go get more. I think there may be some canning in my future.
These cookies are very delicate. I used empires, but any apple will do. I prefer to leave the skin on for a bit of texture. The “spice” is pumpkin pie spice, a mixture of cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. How perfect and easy is that? You can add it to baked goods, smoothies, oatmeal… definitely a worthy purchase! It is available at most grocery stores and online.
Spiced Apple Cookies
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces granulated sugar
- 8 ounces light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 14 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice, plus more for sifting
- 2-3 unpeeled apples, finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine shortening and butter. Then add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Add the eggs and yolk on low speed to the mixing bowl. Scrape down the sides. Then add the vanilla, cider and dry ingredients, in batches. Scrape down the sides periodically.
- Stir in the diced apples by hand, setting aside a handful.
- Use a small scoop to portion out the cookies. Gently press the reserved diced apples into the top of each cookie while maintaining the shape.
- Dust with additional pumpkin pie spice.
- Chill for 15 minutes, then bake for 15 minutes. You can cook them an extra minute or two if you want crunchier cookies. I enjoyed them soft.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.