Pistachio cardamom hot chocolate is a delicious vegan, gluten-free dessert. If you love unique hot chocolate recipes, you need to try this!
I love the flavor combination of pistachios and cardamom. Last year I made pistachio cardamom cookies and to this day they’re one of my favorite dessert recipes on the blog.
Pistachio milk is wonderful by itself with or without the cardamom. Use it in smoothies, cereal, even coffee.
Or heat it up, throw in some cocoa and a few other ingredients and voila: pistachio cardamom hot chocolate. Vegan, dairy free and delicious. (disclaimer: the toasted marshmallow in the photograph is not vegan).
Looking for more hot chocolate recipes?
Pistachio Cardamom Hot Chocolate
Pistachio cardamom milk:
- 1 cup shelled, unsalted, raw pistachios
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 cardamom pods
Pistachio cardamom hot chocolate:
- 2 cups pistachio cardamom milk (see above)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 tablespoons light agave nectar, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch kosher salt
To make pistachio cardamom milk:
- Cover pistachios in cold filtered water and refrigerate overnight. The next day, drain and rinse the pistachios. Add them to a blender or food processor with 2 cups filtered water and 2 cardamom pods. Puree on high speed for 1 minute.
- Drain pistachio milk through a nut milk bag or several layers of cheesecloth. Use within 3 days. Yields 2 cups.
To make hot chocolate:
- Heat pistachio cardamom milk over medium heat. Ladle a small amount of the milk into a bowl with the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth, then pour the mixture into the pistachio milk. This will prevent the cocoa from lumping.
- While the mixture is heating, whisk in agave nectar, ground cardamom, vanilla and salt. Once the mixture is hot, serve immediately.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.