This recipe for Orecchiette with Andouille Sausage, Pine Nuts and Parsley is a hearty, flavorful dinner that’s ready in under 30 minutes!
I am a complete space cadet. People who know me and love me understand that this is just part of my charm. Putting this post together has been a very typical example of how I operate. I sat down to write the post, was distracted by something or another and five minutes later found myself browsing on Groupon for juice detoxes.
Fast forward an hour and I decided to start working on the post again. I walked into the kitchen to double check how many servings are in a standard box of orecchiette and instead found myself doing the dishes and roasting broccoli for dinner. Totally forgot to check the amount of servings in the pasta.
I am constantly emailing myself reminders and “to do” list items. If I don’t jot it down immediately, the thought vanishes from my mind in a hot second. Luckily Jeff finds this endearing. I mostly find it frustrating because it can take me forever to get even the most simple tasks accomplished.
What I love about this pasta dish is that it comes together very quickly with minimal preparation. Once I get started, there’s no time for me to forget about what I’m doing. It doesn’t take much longer to prepare than it does to cook the box of pasta.
- I love smoked andouille sausage and the flavors work great here, but you could swap in any of your favorites. Just make sure whatever you’re using is pre-cooked or smoked.
- You can use any type of pasta. Orecchiette is a fun version I don’t often work with, and I do have one note about using it- if you’re tasting it to test for doneness, be careful! Boiling water can get stuck in the thumbprint shape. I might have learned this the hard way.
Be sure to check out some of these other great pasta recipes:
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Pasta
- Spaghetti with Parmesan, Pine Nuts and Brown Butter Sauce
- Edamame, Mint and Arugula Pesto Pasta
- Mussels with Lemon Garlic Orzo Pasta (on Bakeaholic Mama)
Orecchiette with Andouille Sausage, Pine Nuts and Parsley
- 1 pound orecchiette (I used whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 links smoked andouille sausage, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare the orecchiette according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water right before draining.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Caramelize the andouille for several minutes until it has crisped up a bit. The pan should have a nice brown glaze on the bottom. Pour about 1/4 of the reserved pasta water into the pan to deglaze. The water will simmer. Scrape the brown bits up with a spatula and incorporate back into the sausage.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low, add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring.
- Add the cooked pasta and remaining pasta water to the pan, stirring to combine the ingredients. Remove from the heat and stir in the pine nuts and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.