If you’ve been following this blog from the beginning you may have picked up on the fact that I’m a bit obsessed with olive oil. I love this cake because it really celebrates one of my favorite ingredients.
You can use a basic extra virgin olive oil for this recipe, such as Colavita. I was hoping to really showcase the olive oil flavor, so I used 7 ounces of Colavita (found at any grocery store) and 3 ounces of Maussane-les-Alpilles, which is a fruity, high quality olive oil with the slightest peppery kick at the end.
Now, I’m fairly new to baking. Someone gave me a KitchenAid mixer awhile back and that got me started. But I’ve probably only made a handful of cakes. Definitely not many with a springform pan. So I made my cake batter (see directions below) and as I was pouring it into the springform, I thought to myself “It sure would suck if this thing came apart!”
It was like magic because 2 seconds later there was cake batter everywhere. After cursing loudly, I grabbed the large mixing bowl and managed to capture around half of the batter. As it turned out, I have 2 mini-springform pans I’ve been debating what to do with, and this seemed like a good time to experiment.
I placed the springform pans onto a baking sheet this time to ensure they weren’t going anywhere and stared at them for a full minute before gently placing the sheet in the oven.
A bit of internet research told me to bake the cake for 15 minutes less than I would have in the larger pan. They turned out slightly well done on the outside, but perfectly soft and flavorful on the inside. I think it will be just perfect in a 9-10 inch pan.
Adapted from Cat Cora’s Ladi Tourta recipe
Olive Oil Cake
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (10 oz) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1/4 cup Triple sec
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch cake pan with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, olive oil, milk, Triple sec, orange juice, and zest. In a separate bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Whisk until well blended (the batter will be thin.)
- Pour the mixture into the oiled cake pan. Bake for 1 hour. Place on a rack to cool for at least 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and turn out onto a plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve!
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.
PS: Here’s a link to where I buy amazing olive oils. I have 2 right now. I plan to try as many of these as possible over time.