A light and refreshing palate cleanser that showcases the delicate flavor of meyer lemons. Perfect as a dessert or a mid-meal treat.
Meyer lemons are everywhere right now! Have you ever tried one? They have a slightly sweeter and less acidic flavor than regular lemons, with a hint of orange. I use them everywhere: in tea, baked goods and savory dishes. Meyer lemons work wonderfully in this granita recipe.
A granita is a refreshing Sicilian treat that’s often served as a mid-meal palate cleanser. It’s similar in texture to sorbet or Italian ice, and works wonderfully as a light dessert. The combination of lemon and mint in this recipe reminds me of a mojito. I bet a splash of rum drizzled over the top before serving would be fabulous.
If you don’t have access to Meyer lemons or they’re not in season, simply substitute regular lemons.
- 4 Meyer lemons
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 10 mint leaves
- Using a vegetable peeler, zest long strips from 2 of the lemons and set aside. Juice the lemons through a fine mesh strainer.
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and simmer on medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Take the pot off the heat and add the zest and mint. Allow the flavors to steep for 30 minutes while the mixture cools.
- Strain the zest and mint from the sugar syrup and stir in the lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture into a brownie pan or flat-bottomed glass dish. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Stir the mixture very thoroughly with a fork and allow it to freeze for another 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process every 30 minutes for 3-4 hours. Make sure to mix the granita well every time, scraping down the sides. The idea is to prevent ice crystals from forming so you wind up with a consistency similar to sorbet. If the mixture isn't stirred thoroughly you might wind up with small blocks of ice, which aren't nearly as fun to eat. 3 hours will give you a good granita, 4 hours will guarantee the consistency if you're not planning to serve it immediately. I recommend serving within 24 hours.
Affiliate Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links.