These grilled vegetable and black bean tostadas with avocado cream are a great summer meal!
Have I been on an unhealthy food kick lately or what? Well, maybe not all of it but I was just looking at my recent posts for blueberry buttermilk cookies and blueberry cheesecake parfait thinking ‘holy calories!’ Honestly, I don’t eat like that most of the time. People ask me how I manage to stay in shape when I’m surrounded by baked goods all the time. The truth is I usually only sample one or two cookies before giving the rest away. I like the healthy food just as much. So today I’m sharing a healthier recipe. These grilled veggie and black bean tostadas with avocado cream might be my new favorite meal.
Grilled Vegetable and Black Bean Tostadas with Avocado Cream
For the beans:
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- a handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- a pinch of black pepper
For the avocado cream:
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil or any neutral flavored oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon neutral sweetener such as agave nectar or Karo corn syrup
For the grilled vegetables:
- 1 red onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 green or purple pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 red pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 poblano pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 yellow squash, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 ear of corn, with the husk
- a high heat oil for grilling (grapeseed, canola, regular olive oil, etc.)
- 6 corn tortillas
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Brush the corn tortillas with a bit of oil, sprinkle lightly with salt and bake for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the beans: In a medium bowl, combine the black beans, lime juice, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the avocado cream: In a sturdy blender or food processor, puree the avocado, lime juice, grapeseed oil and sweetener until smooth. Set aside.
- Brush all vegetables lightly with oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Grill the corn directly in the husk until charred. Allow it to cool for before carefully removing the husk and silk. Slice the corn kernels from the ear and combine with the black beans.
- Grill the rest of the veggies on both sides until tender and lightly charred.
- To assemble: place a baked corn tortilla in the center of a plate and top with a generous helping of the black bean and corn mixture. Follow with the vegetables and avocado cream. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.