This delicious creamy millet with sweet corn and chives is an excellent summer side dish that is made from whole grains.
Have you ever tried millet? I had never cooked with it before this year and it’s now one of my favorite whole grains. The flavor and texture is similar to polenta and just like with polenta, it can be used in an assortment of dishes. Creamy millet works great as a sweetened hot breakfast porridge or as a savory side dish with extra virgin olive oil, salt and any vegetables you enjoy. Much like with risotto or quinoa, the leftovers can be used to make millet cakes. In Japan you can actually find candied millet puffs called Awaokoshi. You can learn more about millet on Wikipedia.
So whole grains are healthy, right? Yeah, I kind of drown out most of the health benefits in this dish with heavy cream and cheese. I couldn’t help myself; cream and cheese are really tasty. However, I’ve included easy substitutions at the bottom of this recipe to create a light and healthy (though not nearly as decadent) side dish.
Creamy Millet with Sweet Corn and Chives
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ear of sweet corn (approximately 3/4 cup kernels)
- 1/2 cup millet
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, or more as needed
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pot. Add shallots and garlic and saute until translucent.
- Add the corn, millet, water and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Allow to cook for 35 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the chives, parmesan and cream. Add more cream if needed to reach the desired consistency. Add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with chives and serve hot.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email email@example.com. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links, at no additional cost to you.