This cherry almond coconut quinoa porridge is a wonderfully healthy breakfast! It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free and will satisfy even picky eaters.
Cherry Almond Coconut Quinoa Porridge
Recently I shared a breakfast recipe for banana coconut parfaits. In the post I mentioned a few breakfasts I like to enjoy regularly including quinoa porridge. A few people asked me for the recipe and I’m happy to oblige!
I almost hate to call this a recipe. I like to change the ingredients around regularly so maybe it’s better to think of this as a baseline to build from. There’s no reason to purchase special ingredients as long as you have quinoa on hand and some nuts and fruit. I’ve used dried cherries here but any dried or regular fruit will work. Hell, if you like brown rice or millet better than quinoa use one of those grains instead. When I use a thin liquid such as almond milk I like to add a teaspoon of melted coconut oil for some healthy fat and richness. If you use something like coconut milk you can omit the oil altogether. The results will be much thicker like a traditional porridge. This is a nice light version for when you know you’ll be having dessert later.
Here are some ingredients you can swap in and out to keep this porridge interesting:
- Grains: brown rice, millet, amaranth
- Nuts: pistachios, pecans, walnuts, cashews
- Dried fruit: raisins, medjool dates, dried cranberries
- Regular fruit: apples, berries, pears
- Liquid: coconut milk, soy milk
- Spices: cardamom, nutmeg, cocoa, vanilla
- Assorted: cacao nibs, chocolate chips
Get the idea? Have fun with it and happy breakfast.
This cherry almond coconut quinoa porridge is a wonderfully healthy breakfast! It's naturally vegan and gluten-free and will satisfy even picky eaters.
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon toasted slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tablespoon hemp hearts or roasted flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Heat on medium low, stirring, until the porridge is warm.
You can also combine the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Affiliate Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links.