Today I went to Larriland Farms and bought acorn squash, butternut squash, pumpkins, broccoli, apples, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and cider. Phew! I have a lot of work ahead of me.
Tonight I’m making Acorn Squash Soup (and sipping some Hot Mulled Cider with rum while cooking). This soup is healthy, rich, with just the right amount of sweetness. A delicious, comforting fall soup.
Adapted from Canyon Ranch Cooks by Scott Uehlein
Acorn Squash Soup
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks, white and pale green parts only
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground or grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup half & half
- Preheat oven to 450. Lightly coat a shallow baking pan with olive oil. Arrange squash in baking pan, cut side down, with 1 cup of water. Bake for 45 minutes or until soft. Remove from pan and spoon out the pulp. Transfer pulp to a blender and puree until smooth (or use an immersion blender). Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the remaining vegetables, and cook over medium-low heat until they begin to soften. Add the stock, squash puree, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup and half and half and then simmer, uncovered, for another 5 minutes. Use an immersion blender to smooth, or serve with the yummy bits. Add salt if needed.
- (If you want to make this vegan, simply swap out the chicken stock for vegetable and the half and half for soy milk)
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email email@example.com. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links, at no additional cost to you.