I can’t tell you how glad I am that this stressful week is over. DC was lucky to escape the wrath of Hurricane Sandy though several of my local friends are still without power or just now getting it back. I have a lot of family in New York and we haven’t been able to reach everyone. But things are such a disaster there that it’s entirely possible they’re still without electricity and saving their cell phone charges. If you live anywhere near New York, the best way you can help right now is to donate food, clothing and blankets to those who lost everything. If you don’t live in the area, this article lists charities working directly with New York, New Jersey and other locations dealing with the aftermath. Donating to any of these organizations will be a huge help. Please give what you can.
Something else that kept me sane? Reading beautiful recipes from food bloggers:
- Bake at 350: Pumpkin Beer Bread
- A Spicy Perspective: Slow-Cooker Apple Butter Yeast Rolls
- Love & Olive Oil: Fried Apple Pies with Vanilla Bean and Bourbon
- Simply Recipes: Squid Ink Pasta with Pumpkin, Sage and Browned Butter
- Table for Two: Pumpkin Pasta with Turkey Sausage
- Noble Pig: Wild Alaskan Halibut Fish Tacos
- Tutti Dolci: Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Chocolate, Chocolate and More: Homemade Gum Drops
Cheers to a new week.
UPDATE: Everyone is ok! No power, but all houses are in tact and everyone is safe. Thanks for the kind words.