I could use a few upgrades in my life. One of the downsides to going back to school and buying a house is that now we have to deal with things like student loan and mortgage payments. Grown up stuff. I don’t mean to sound like I’m complaining because I’m quite lucky. But I do sometimes miss the perks from my old job- more travel, more shopping, more toys. I’ve been drooling over the new iPhone 5. Mine is getting a bit slow and as you may have noticed it doesn’t take the best photos! I refuse to constantly grab my SLR camera while cooking. My hands are usually sticky and the counter is usually covered in flour. Not the best place for a nice camera. So most of my action shots are taken with the phone cam. And then there’s my trusty, loyal Nikon D70. This camera has been with me since the beginning. Sadly, it’s almost 10 years old and really starting to show its age. The auto-focus has died, which turned out to be a good thing because it forced me to get comfortable shooting with manual focus. But when I’m out in the real world, auto-focus would sure come in handy sometimes.
So I’m keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I win this strawberry recipe contest I entered last month. I made the top 5 (along with my friend Laura from Tutti Dolci– please go check out her gorgeous blog) and we’re supposed to find out the winners tomorrow. First place wins a $500 Amazon Gift Card! Second place gets $350 and Third place gets $250; not too shabby. If I am lucky enough to win the top prize I’m going to start saving for my dream camera, the Nikon D7000. If I place 2nd or 3rd I think I’m going to treat myself to the new iPhone. Hopefully, one way or the other, my photos will further improve soon. Wish me and Laura good luck!
What upgrades could you use in your life?
My Favorite Instagram Photos:
The Leaning Tower of Tofu
Cookie Butter Doughnuts (coming soon)
Pumpkin Bread Pudding (coming soon!)
It’s a tough life
We’re supposed to suck the shrimp head? That’s the best part? … I dunno… Ok fine… 1…2…3 GO
On Savory Simple:
This crab cake recipe has been in my family for years. I stand by it’s Maryland authenticity. Granted, any time you call something “authentic” some people will argue. But everyone who tries these says they’re the best, including me. And if you have a different idea about what constitutes an “authentic” Maryland crab cake you should give me specifics instead of just telling me I’m wrong. Not that this happened ;)
My giveaway ends today! Thanks to everyone who entered and good luck! For those who don’t win, Lisa has very kindly offered to give a promotional discount to everyone who entered. The detox will only cost $99! Enter the code “DETOXLOVE” during checkout! I would love to have some of you join me. The more the merrier!
You need these in your life. That is all.
My favorite posts from other bloggers this week:
- Cookin Canuck: Light(er) No-Bake Cookies Recipe with Dulce de Leche, Sea Salt & Oatmeal
- Movita Beaucoup: Oatmeal Scones Topped with Lavender Sugar
- Naturally Ella: Sweet Corn and Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- Season with Spice: Fried Tofu with Sesame-Soy Dipping Sauce
- Patty’s Food: roasted brussels sprouts, butternut squash, applewood smoked bacon and toasted walnuts
- Taste and Tell: Bacon and Egg Burger
- Chocolate, Chocolate and More: Apple Pie Danish
- Meringue ghosts. How adorable are these?
- One day I’ll learn how to use bobby pins properly and do cool things with my hair.
- Homemade milanos? Yes please!
- Baby ambivalence; a topic of conversation I’ve discussed with many friends. This article is fascinating to me.
- Small bites for entertaining.