I used to say I loved seafood. However, over time I’ve realized that what I really love the most is shellfish. I’m not overly fond of filleted fish but I could eat mussels, shrimp, lobster, crab, oysters, clams or scallops every day of the week without getting bored. Earlier this week I was at one of my favorite local markets, Wagshals, when I saw these huge, gorgeous diver scallops. I immediately wanted to sear them but once I brought them home I realized I really didn’t want to heat up the kitchen by turning on the stove. It hasn’t been unbearably hot in DC this summer (yet) but it’s been insanely humid. I tried to take a photo outside yesterday and my lens actually fogged up. So the new plan? Scallop ceviche.
This ceviche isn’t ground breaking or especially unique. But I love how fresh and light the flavors are. It’s perfect as an appetizer or main course. You can even throw it in a corn tortilla and make scallop ceviche tacos. I didn’t add any salt to mine but you might want to add a bit for balance. And feel free to swap out the citrus- this will be wonderful with lime segments or even grapefruit.
- 1/2 pound fresh diver scallops, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice (approximately 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice (approximately 1/2 orange)
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, diced
- 2 oranges, segmented
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, diced to the same size as the scallops
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons shallot or red onion, diced
- Place the scallops in a small bowl. Add the lime and orange juice and stir. Cover and refrigerate for 5-6 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes.
- Drain most of the excess liquid. Toss scallops with the peppers, avocado, basil and shallots.
- Season with salt if desired.
The avocado should be ripe enough to easily cut but not soft enough that it will become mushy. For best results it should hold its shape when stirred with the other ingredients.
More Summer Recipes
Savory Simple – 75+ Seasonal Summer Recipes Roundup
Savory Simple – Grilled Avocado and Peach Salsa
Savory Simple – Cherry Gazpacho
Always Order Dessert – Peach Jam
The Healthy Apple – Blueberry Salad with Coconut Cilantro Dressing
Poet in the Pantry – Blueberry Buckle