When I first started making scrubs, I used olive oil. But after trial and error, I have to say that coconut oil is one of the best body moisturizers I’ve ever used. I keep two jars at home; one in the kitchen and one in the medicine cabinet. It absorbs right into my skin with no oily residue (I sound like such a commercial, but it’s true). Regular sugar can be substituted for the turbinado if you have very sensitive skin. I prefer raw turbinado sugar because it has the most texture for exfoliating and makes my skin feel amazing. And I’m starting to see forum discussions about anti-aging properties in sugar but I have no idea if they’re scientifically accurate. With regards to fragrance, any essential oil will work. My favorites have always been eucalyptus and rosemary because I find them refreshing and invigorating. But you could go with rose, lavender, even vanilla… whatever you fancy.
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4-10 drops rosemary oil (or essential oil of your choice)
- Measure the sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Melt coconut oil for 15-30 seconds to liquify it.
- Stir the oil into the sugar.
- Stir in essential oil.
- Store in the shower. Heat from the shower will keep the oil liquified during use.