I am so in love with my Weber grill. This may sound weird but we purchased it at the beginning of winter. After a few terrible power outages we wanted to make sure we had a way to cook food and heat up water for coffee in the event of a bad winter storm (coffee is always a priority). So I had to stare longingly at it for months before firing it up. Now that summer is here every day is a new chance to experiment with my beloved new toy. Steaks, burgers, wings, vegetables, fruit, you name it. So even though it’s not the peak season for pears, I had to try grilling them.
The trick to grilling pears (or any fruit) is to not touch it once it’s on the grill. Just leave it be. 4 minutes seems to be the magic number on my grill. And let me tell you- these pears are amazing. As soon as they cooled down a bit I took a big bite out of one of the pears and sweet juice went everywhere. It was an explosion of flavor. And I knew immediately that I wanted to pair the grilled pears (see what I did there?) with roquefort whipped cream.
This is a wonderful summer dessert. No oven required and it’s a reasonable portion. It’s not heavy or overly filling and the sweetness level is just right. I just know you’ll love these as much as I do!
Yields 8 pear halves
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup roquefort cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 bartlett pears
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- In a small saucepan, heat half of the heavy cream with the roquefort cheese and honey over medium heat. Stir until the mixture begins to simmer and the cheese is completely incorporated without any lumps. Add the remaining cream, cover and refrigerate until cold. This step can be done a day in advance. Once the cream is cold, whip by hand or in a stand mixer until thick.
- Preheat a grill on medium high heat for several minutes, until very hot. Slice the pears in half from stem to root and use a melon baller or small spoon to scoop out the seeds. Brush vegetable oil liberally onto the flat side of the pears.
- Carefully place each pear on the grill, flat side down. Close the lid and grill for 4 minutes. Remove and allow to cool until they're warm or room temperature.
- Scoop a dollop of roquefort whipped cream onto each pear and top with a sprinkle of chopped pecans. Serve immediately.
Use roquefort whipped cream within 24 hours.