I’m not ready for summer to end. While I’m happy to see apple and pumpkin recipes popping up on various websites, I cling to my peaches and corn like a stubborn child. I feel sadness when I notice the sun fading into the horizon earlier every day. I do love autumn with it’s crisp temperatures, colorful leaves and hints of Christmas in the air. But I’ll never love it quite as much as spring, which brings the promise of flowers, sunlight, lazy beach days and grilling. I don’t see myself slowing down with the grill this year until the first snowstorm rips the tongs out of my cold, shivering hands.
When Lori Lange sent me a copy of her new book, The Recipe Girl Cookbook, I immediately knew I wanted to try her grilled balsamic skirt steak with grilled corn salsa. I’d never grilled skirt steak before! A new experiment.
This cookbook is filled with all kinds of delicious recipes: barbecue-sauced shrimp and bacon with orzo, tomato-mascarpone risotto, puff pastry peach pie… I can’t put it down. And Lori has offered to give away a copy to one of you! Check out the contest below the recipe for a chance to win.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds skirt steak, fat trimmed
- 2 large ears corn, shucked and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Place the marinade ingredients into a large ziplock baggie or a glass pan and stir them together. Add the steak to the marinade and turn it over to coat. Marinade the steak for at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, turning it often to coat all sides of the steak.
- When you're ready to grill, remove the steak from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Soak the corn in a large bowl of water for 30 minutes. Preheat the grill to medium. Place the corn on the hot grill grates, grilling until the ears are slightly charred on all sides. Remove them from the grill and let them cool. Cut the corn kernels off of the cobs. In a large bowl, mix the corn, tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the steak from the marinade and grill, covered, until it has good grill marks, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip and cook, covered, until the steak is done to your liking, 4 to 5 minutes for medium rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve the sliced steak topped with the corn salsa.
Ready to win a copy of the book? Enter to win using the Rafflecopter widget below. The contest will run through September 11th. I’ll use Rafflecopter to select a winner. That person has 48 hours to respond before a new winner is selected. The cookbook can only be shipped to a US address. Good luck!
Disclaimer: I was sent a free copy of The Recipe Girl Cookbook but was not compensated for this post. All opinions are my own.