When winter rolls around, my sensitive skin immediately begins to act up. I have a particular skincare routine for my face, but it doesn’t involve exfoliation because I’ve never felt the need (and I’ve heard it can actually be damaging). However, I love using a gentle, homemade exfoliator on the rest of my body. It moisturizes and leaves my skin feeling incredibly soft and smooth. It’s a wonderful way to combat winter dryness. It also makes a lovely holiday gift! I’ve once again teamed up with Jessica from Coco & Mingo to create free printable labels you can use to make an inexpensive, crafty present for friends and family.
I recently discovered grapefruit essential oil, and it’s currently my favorite scent. Cheesy as it sounds, the smell makes me happy. However, you can use any fragrance you prefer. Jessica has left the scent off of some of the labels so you can fill in your own. Other options I’ve had success with are lavender and/or eucalyptus.
I’ve suggested using organic ingredients in the recipe, but that’s up to you. I’m never sure if pesticides or chemicals are used in processing conventional ingredients, and I’d rather not scrub those into my skin. Also, you can play with the ratios of olive oil, coconut oil and honey. Originally I used more coconut oil and less olive oil, but I switched for three reasons:
- The coconut scent was overpowering the essential oils.
- Coconut oil solidifies at room temperature and makes the scrub slightly more difficult to handle.
- I use the scrub in my shower and coconut oil makes the floor extremely slick.
I probably don’t need to mention this but if you’re planning to use the scrub in the shower, don’t store it in a glass jar. Use something that won’t shatter like tupperware with a tight fitting lid. The labels Jessica has created are designed to work with Avery 22808 round labels. If you want to use gift tags as opposed to placing them directly on decorative jars, Amazon and craft shops sell an assortment of options that will work with these labels.
- 2 cups granulated sugar (+ ½ cup more if needed), preferably organic
- ¼ cup coconut oil, preferably organic
- ¼ cup honey, preferably organic
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, preferably organic
- grapefruit essential oil (or essential oil of your choice)
- Place the sugar in a food processor and pulse several times until the granules are smaller. (note: this step is optional but will make the scrub more gentle, especially on sensitive skin.)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the coconut oil and honey together briefly until the coconut oil is just melted, approximately 10-20 seconds.
- Place 2 cups of the sugar in a medium-sized bowl and stir in the coconut oil/honey mixture, followed by the olive oil. If desired, stir in an additional ¼ - ½ cup sugar until the desired ratio of sugar to oil is reached (the oil shouldn't be seeping but there should be some excess).
- Add the grapefruit essential oil until fragrant (I like a strong fragrance and added over 30 drops to mask the coconut smell).