Around twice a year I detox, typically in the spring or fall. I know some people think cleanses are weird and trendy but you know what? They work. So I don’t care what people are saying. And today I’m hosting a giveaway that’s near and dear to my heart.
I developed some kind of weird sugar addiction while attending culinary school. I was never a sweets person before school. I was all about the savory- the appetizers, the salty snacks, the boeuf bourguignon. But let me tell you: eating a restaurant quality dessert for lunch every single day for 6 months changes things. I actually think it caused some kind of physical change in my body (in addition to the 15 pounds I gained and then thankfully shed).
I initially decided to try detoxing because all the baking I was doing was causing me to have out-of-control sugar cravings. I’m incredibly passionate about what I do for a living so cutting out the sugar completely or changing the blog format was never an option. Instead, I decided I needed to conquer the issue and take control. I did a 7 day cleanse and was AMAZED at the results. Seriously, it was life changing. Detoxing put me back in control of my cravings and allowed me to continue the work that I love without worry or guilt. Instead of wanting 5 cookies, I was completely satisfied with a few bites. My energy soared. I actually quit coffee for 6 months because I loved having steady energy throughout the day (but that didn’t last… I just love coffee too much).
Lisa Consiglio Ryan, who I’ve worked with many times, is offering to give away one free spot in her upcoming Fall Renewal Detox (a $129 value), which starts on October 1st. You can read more about Lisa and Whole Health Designs here.
I’m not going to lie to you. Detoxing is hard. The first 3-4 days are no fun. You feel tired and foggy. Headaches are normal. But by day 4 or 5 you’ll feel incredible. You’ll have tons of energy, control of your cravings, your clothes will fit better and you’ll sleep like a baby.
I know this isn’t for everyone here. But if this is something you’ve previously wondered about, why not enter the contest and give it a try? It’s FREE. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I’ll be right there with you! I’ve coached a few friends through this now and I’m good at providing moral support :) FYI- the detox support is all online, so anyone can enter this contest.
I’ve asked Lisa to explain a bit more about what it means to detox and what the benefits are. Lisa, take it away!
Many people are wary of this word. Detox is sometimes equated to diet, deprivation, and starvation. Detox seems just plain old scary. But it doesn’t have to be that way especially when done safely and effectively.
Detox can give you the jump start you need to lose a few pounds, reboot healthy habits, and provide you with tons of energy. Think glow, radiant, clear, and focused! Now doesn’t that sound good?
Most of us usually think of cleansing in spring; spring cleaning and getting rid of the extra weight during winter. It’s a time to renew, refresh, rebirth; set plans into motion.
During fall, we are moving inward; slowing down from the movement of summer. According to many naturopaths, fall along with spring is the best time to do a cleanse. In the fall, as the growth season of summer comes to a close, detox is an ideal way to prepare for winter, the holidays and hibernation. Fall is actually the ideal time to detox. Think of purging the old….just like the trees, you must shed your leaves and get prepared for winter. A fall detox will help boost your immunity to help stave off seasonal colds (which are so prevalent this time of year) and prepare your organs for the colder months.
Fall is also the time to get productive and finish projects for the year.
Back to school… back to routines…back to work.
So if you are ready to get back to work with your health, a detox can be the perfect remedy.
Here are 5 ways to detox safely during fall:
- Eat whole Foods: Try a gentle, clean food-based detox. The first step is to eliminate foods that have barcodes. This means avoid foods that come in a can or box- processed foods. I usually remind myself of this rule when I shop. Also, stick to organic fruits and veggies for your cleanse. You don’t want to add any toxins into your body during your detox! In fall, you will generally eat warm stews, soups, and root vegetable dishes. Lots of nutritionally dense foods will nourish your body for the season. And don’t forget to add those warming spices to your meals, which will enhance your lungs and large intestines (the main detoxifying organs for fall).
- Eliminate added sugar, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, wheat/gluten, and soy: These substances are allergens and even addictive. These need to be eliminated while you are doing a detox. Try to keep things as clean as possible.
- Move your body: Of course eating foods that nourish and detoxify are necessary for your cleanse, but the next step is to incorporate exercise. Try gentle yoga, walking in nature, stretching. You don’t want to run twelve miles during your cleanse or do a long bike ride. You will be completely exhausted. Your body is working hard to get rid of toxins, and she needs to restore during the detox period.
- Take time to breathe and meditate: This time is for YOU. So try sitting still for at least 10 minutes a day, breathing in and out. Have a mantra. Be still. Stress is the #1 cause of inflammation so do all you can to take a few steps back and calm your mind.
- Determine the length of your detox: 10 days is a perfect time period to feel and see changes in your body. It’s just enough time to really get the full effects of a food-based detox. It takes time to make changes, and your body needs time to adjust to eating differently, getting rid of toxins, and establishing habits. So a cleanse less than 10 days might not give you the full results. If you are new to detoxing or want a power-boost to jump start healthy living, then 10 days is a good start.
So what do you say? Ready to get your detox on this fall?
I’ll be confirming the entries before selecting a winner. The contest ends Sunday, September 23. I’ll email the winner as well as make an announcement on Facebook. Good luck!email. You can also follow me via RSS, Facebook and Twitter.