I have a deep love for espresso that has become much more profound since acquiring a Nespresso machine last year. I don’t mean to sound like an advertisement but that stuff is just so darn smooth! I’ve developed a three skim latte per day habit. When I was younger I hated coffee because it was so bitter and couldn’t understand why the silly adults would drink something so gross. But then one day I tried the gateway drug- coffee ice cream.
Coffee ice cream is everything that black coffee is not; creamy, sweet, subtle, not overly bitter… it has always been one of my favorite flavors. You all know how much I love ice cream so that’s saying a lot. This vegan espresso coconut ice cream is a twist on my old standby. It’s made with full fat coconut milk instead of my usual custard base. It’s milky and rich, though slightly more icy than my other recipes. The texture reminds me a bit of sorbet.
- 1 13.5 ounce can regular coconut milk
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 shots freshly brewed espresso
- optional: ½ tablespoon espresso vodka
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine the coconut milk, sugar and vanilla extract. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the espresso and espresso vodka, if using.
- Chill the base for a minimum of 2 hours or preferably overnight.
- Prepare in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.