I hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend. I *might* be slightly hungover this morning after a night of 80s dancing with friends. But it was totally worth it to let loose and shake off a bit of stress as life gets back to normal. While I recover, please give a warm welcome to Roxana who has brought some gorgeous espresso brownies to share with us.
Hello, Savory Simple fans. I’m Roxana; the baker, photographer and writer behind Roxana’s Home Baking ~ where passion meets cravings. I’m happy to be here today, sharing a recipe for espresso brownies. I’m a chocoholic at heart and love everything that pairs deliciously with chocolate. Coffee is one of those ingredients you can’t go wrong with once you add a little to fudge brownies.
I’ve made these brownies a couple of weeks ago and few days later I had to make another pan. They were so good everyone asked for more. The second time I made them I took them to the next level adding a thing layer of espresso frosting on top. They had so much coffee flavor, one square could have been eaten instead of your morning cup of coffee.
They were the perfect chocolate-coffee brownies. Rich with a strong coffee flavor. Keep away from kids, this a grown-up treat. To make it even more grown-up you could add a little bit of coffee liquor to the frosting or even a tablespoon or two to the brownie batter.
To make these brownies it’s really easy. You start by melting the chocolate with the butter. Once melted and slightly cooled you mixed it with the eggs and sugar. Slowly the flour and cocoa is added to form the batter. Pout the batter into a prepared dish and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the brownies cool completely before spreading the coffee buttercream on top. Slice and enjoy your cup of coffee!
40 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 5 1/2 ounces unsalted butter (1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons)
- 4 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1-2 tablespoons cold black coffee
- 1 cup powder sugar
- In a small saucepan put the butter and chocolate and place over medium heat. Stir until melted and smooth. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 11x7 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the 3 eggs and the sugar and start mixing on low-speed slowly increasing to medium until the eggs become pale and thicken. Without turning the mixer off, stir in the warm chocolate.
- Add the coffee extract and espresso powder followed by the unsweetened cocoa and all-purpose flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before frosting them.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter, espresso powder and cold coffee in a mixing bowl slowly adding the powder sugar. If needed add more cold coffee or sugar until you reached the desired consistency.
- Spread over the cooled brownies. Cut and enjoy!
Thank you Jen for having me on your beautiful blog.
More chocolate recipes
Savory Simple – Chocolate Malt Truffles
Savory Simple – Chocolate Risotto
Savory Simple – Chocolate Pretzel Peanut Butter Blondies
The Messy Baker Blog – Dark Chocolate Bailey’s Irish Cream Cupcakes
Cooking with Books – Chai Spiced Chocolate Walnuts
Chocolate Moosey – Single Serving Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie