I have an exciting announcement to make and for those of you who follow my social media accounts this won’t come as a surprise. I wrote a cookbook! Late last year I was contacted by Zoku after creating a banana cream popsicle recipe based around their Quick Pop Maker. They informed me that they would be releasing a new product in the spring called the Slush & Shake Maker and were interested in having me develop a cookbook for them!
I was beyond flattered and very excited to work with them on my first cookbook. But it was so difficult keeping the secret from my friends and extended family. The only people who knew the details were my husband and parents. All anyone else knew was that I was working on a “super secret project of incredible importance.” This book was written on an extremely tight deadline which is why I had many friends guest posting for me in January. Over the course of 6 weeks I repeatedly tested approximately 60 recipes. It was intense as I’m sure you can imagine. The Art of Slush was released in late spring and for now is being exclusively sold through Zoku’s website and Williams-Sonoma. I don’t think it truly hit me until I walked into Williams-Sonoma and saw my book on display in person. It was completely surreal.
The entire experience has been a whirlwind. I’m currently working on a proposal for my second cookbook. Life is good. And I’m so happy to finally be sharing the news with you! Today I’m sharing one of my favorite recipes from the book, a blood orange mojito sparkling slush. Below the recipe you’ll find a special Zoku giveaway!
- 25 mint leaves, divided
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup blood orange juice (approximately 6 blood oranges)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (approximately 1-2 limes)
- 1 cup sparkling water
- optional: 2 fluid ounces rum, divided
- To make a mint simple syrup, heat up the sugar, water and 15 mint leaves in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow the mixture to simmer for 3 minutes and remove from the heat. Without removing the mint, chill the simple syrup for at least an hour in the refrigerator. Strain and discard the mint.
- Stir the simple syrup together with the blood orange juice, lime juice, sparkling water and remaining mint leaves. Pour into the Slush & Shake Maker. Stir until slushy and then add rum. The mixture will thin out. Continue to stir until thick.
To celebrate the release of my cookbook, Zoku has offered to give away their Slush & Shake Maker along with a copy of The Art of Slush to TWO winners! The contest will run through August 27th at 8:00pm EST. The products can only be shipped within the US. Good luck to those who enter and thank you so much for supporting me on this wild ride.