Last week I was on the road, traveling to Portland and Seattle to visit with family and attend IFBC. I love to travel but there is always something so wonderful about returning home. I missed my cat. I missed my own bed. My own food. It feels good to be back in the kitchen, doing what I do.
But that’s not to say I didn’t have fun while I was on the west coast. I did all kinds of cool stuff. For example…
I visited a Multnomah Falls but was too lazy to take out my Nikon. The phone pic isn’t too shabby!
I spent time in a massive bookstore in Portland and lusted after cookbooks. I want all the cookbooks.
I took a ride on a sailboat.
I took a photo at the bottom of the Space Needle because the line to ride to the top was really long.
I ran around the most amazing market with my friend Chung-ah, taking photos of everything and sampling cheese and honey.
I visited the original Starbucks. It tastes exactly the same but the woman in the logo is topless.
I tried raw milk because for some reason it’s illegal in DC and Maryland. I liked it!
So yes, I had fun. But now I’m home and it’s back to work! Today I’ve created a recipe for berry granola streusel muffins. The recipe was created around pre-packaged granola and dried berries from NatureBox but you can can still make the recipe without these products. If you haven’t heard of NatureBox, they deliver healthy snacks to your front door. They sent me an assortment of their products to try and I’m really enjoying them! Below the recipe you’ll find a contest to win a 3-month membership to NatureBox as well as a 50% off promotional code. There will be 2 winners!
- 1 cup mixed dried berries (I used NatureBox's Cherry Berry Bonanza)
- 1⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granola, chopped coarsely (I used NatureBox's French Vanilla Almond Granola)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a muffin pan (I like to use baking spray with flour).
- Place the dried berries in a small bowl. Boil a small pot of water and pour it over the berries until they're covered. Allow them to sit for several minutes to rehydrate before draining the water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, butter and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry along with the rehydrated berries and mix until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins and distribute the granola evenly on top of each muffin. Bake for 20-23 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then move to a cooling rack.
To anyone who does not win the giveaway, NatureBox is offering a special promotion for readers of this blog (either visit this link or use the code SAVORYSIMPLE at checkout). Fine print: The promotion is good for 50% off any of their 3 box sizes. Valid only on the 1st month’s box. New customers only. Not valid on gift subscriptions and may not be combined with any other offers.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by NatureBox. I was paid to develop a recipe using some of their products which I received free of charge. As always, all opinions are my own.