Banana Coconut Parfait
I used to dread mornings. Every day began exactly the same way: being jolted awake too soon by the sound of a beeping alarm clock, groggily dragging myself into the shower, getting dolled up and then chugging coffee as if my life depended on it as I maneuvered my way around angry city commuters (side note: why is it that people are always in such a rush to get to work in the morning?)
Mornings are very different these days.
I never thought I would say this but morning has become my favorite time of the day. At some point along the way I went from being a night owl to a semi-early bird. These days I wake up naturally at around 7am, often before my alarm even goes off. The angry beeping clock is gone; when the alarm does wake me up I hear soft music.
I love the quiet haze of morning as the yellow-tinted sunlight creeps through the window. I love sitting with my cat and catching up on the news with that first perfect cup of coffee.
My breakfasts aren’t usually very exciting. I alternate between smoothies, quinoa porridge or egg, cheddar and Sriracha on an english muffin. When I’m feeling like more of a treat, I love having a parfait.
I like to prepare several of these parfaits at once and then eat them for breakfast throughout the week. When it comes time to enjoy them I mix everything together in a bowl. But it looks so pretty in layers, doesn’t it?
This granola recipe is intentionally not very sweet. When paired with ripe bananas… it’s perfect. The fattiness of the coconut cream brings everything together but if you’d like a more traditional parfait, plain yogurt can be substituted in place of coconut milk. Also, the granola might lose some of it’s crunchiness if it’s in the refrigerator for too long. It still has texture so it doesn’t bother me. But one way to avoid this is to place a small parchment round between the granola and coconut cream layer. Simply remove the parchment before enjoying.
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey or more to taste
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 very ripe bananas, peeled
- Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. This will cause the liquid to separate and a solid layer of coconut cream will form on top. Carefully open the can and scoop the solid layer into the bowl of a stand mixer (or a regular bowl if using a hand mixer). Add 1 tablespoon of honey. Using the whisk attachment, whip the coconut cream on high speed until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine oats, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together honey, vanilla and water. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir well to combine. Line granola in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes, until dry and crunchy. Stir the granola every 10-15 minutes to prevent the coconut flakes from burning.
- Place the bananas in a bowl and use a potato masher to make a puree. Divide the bananas into 4-6 serving bowls.
- Top banana puree with the granola and then finish with the whipped coconut cream. Serve or cover and refrigerate.
More parfait recipes
Savory Simple – Blueberry Passionfruit Cheesecake Parfaits
Savory Simple – Clementine Curd Cheesecake Parfaits
The Vintage Mixer – Chocolate and Vanilla Bean Yogurt Parfaits
Inspired Taste – Easy Pumpkin Ginger Mousse Parfait
Dine & Dish – Raspberry Parfaits