I’m excited to share that for the next three months I’ll be guest blogging over at Safest Choice Eggs. My first recipe for them is a twist on the classic salad lyonnaise- a summer arugula salad with soft boiled eggs, bacon, parmigiano reggiano cheese, toasted slivered almonds and a shallot dijon vinaigrette. I also share a story about a scary experience Jeff and I had 2 years ago and why we both feel that it’s so important to only consume pasteurized eggs, especially if you like runny yolks.
Have you ever dealt with a bad foodborne illness firsthand? It’s incredibly frightening. Long story short, Jeff and I will never consume farmers market eggs again. You all know how much I adore the local markets in DC so that’s a difficult thing to admit. But I strongly believe that there are some cases where trusted labels are more important than buying local. Want to know more about what happened to us? Head over to Safest Choice Eggs to read our story!
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallot
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup thick cut bacon
- 2 pasteurized egg
- 2-3 cups baby arugula
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- shaved Parmigiano Reggiano to taste
- Combine the shallots, mustard, vinegars, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a jar and shake vigorously to emulsify. This can also be done in a blender.
- Cook the bacon in a medium sized skillet over low heat to slowly render out the fat. Turn the heat up to medium and continue cooking until the bacon is slightly caramelized and crisp. Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels for several minutes. Chop and set aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, prepare the soft boiled eggs . Allow the eggs to chill in an ice water bath for several minutes before peeling to avoid wilting the greens. Peel and slice the eggs lengthwise right before plating.
- Arrange the arugula, bacon, eggs, almonds and Parmigiano on two plates. Drizzle with shallot Dijon vinaigrette and serve.